Sunday, July 10, 2011

Suspenseful Seven-Sentence Sunday -- Spec Script

Okay, so it's not seven sentences, but this week, it's what I want to share with you. I recently completed a spec script for the TV police drama "Southland", one of my favorite shows ("Breaking Bad" is another). In case you aren't familiar with Southland, each episode starts with a flash forward in time, giving viewers a sneak peek at something that will happen later in the episode. The action freezes, and the voice of an anonymous male (ie. a character we never meet), gives us a hint at the theme of the program. Here's my opening -- please note that I know it's not set up here in proper screenwriting format, but my spec script does follow the standard. HTML coding just ain't my thing.


FADE IN:

EXT. STREET - AFTERNOON

Smoke blots out the afternoon sun. Blue and red lights flash on the faces of TERRIFIED BYSTANDERS.

In the background, a building burns. FIRE FIGHTERS and POLICE OFFICERS try to restore order to the crowd. PARAMEDICS carry INJURED WOMEN on stretchers to waiting vehicles.

SAMMY and BEN watch from a distance.

SAMMY
I should have seen this coming.

He turns his head at the sound of an approaching SIREN and sees SAL bolt from his car just beyond the perimeter of the crime scene. Sal leaves his vehicle running, leaves his door open. He pushes his way through the throng. Sammy intervenes, blocks Sal.

SAMMY
What are you doing?

SAL
Get out of my way.

Sal breaks free of Sammy's grip and races toward the burning building.

FREEZE FRAME

ANONYMOUS VOICE
Some cops believe they should have as much authority in their homes as they do on the street. Right now, Detective Salinger doesn't have authority anywhere.


***
Southland has been given the green light for season 4 on TNT, but I'm not sure when the season begins. While you're waiting, read the work of other suspenseful seven-sentence Sunday writers here.

1 comment:

  1. Great scene, Audrey! Would you be interested in entering an amateur play writing contest? If so, please visit my blog and check it out! The link is located near the top of the left hand bar on my page.

    JH!

    ReplyDelete