Monday, April 4, 2011

Suspenseful Seven-Sentence Sunday -- One Day Late!

What better way to keep you in suspense than by posting my Sunday entry a day late?

I have as good an excuse as I can come up with -- I was in the final round of a screenwriting competition. What I love about this kind of competition is that it pushes you to invent something that you might not have come up with on your own. I had fun creating some desperate characters, and I just sent in my entry a few minutes ago. Now, I want to forget about it. I've learned not to obsess about competition entries, but just to move on and get busy doing something else. Otherwise, it feels like staring at a lottery ticket until the draw date.

Last week, I revised a short story about a young girl caught in the middle of a bank robbery. She tries to imagine the robbers as something other than they are, but they're so evil that she can only see them as a different type of bad. As this scene begins, she's on the floor, hidden underneath her mother's cloak.

Each man pointed a gun at the crowd and ordered everyone not to look at them, but Esther could not resist. She lifted a corner of her mother’s cloak.

Esther watched the men stride into the bank, and with every step, their bodies transformed. Their ragged camouflage jackets became shiny green scales, their thick bodies grew wiry, their guns became thick black fingers. They were no longer men, but appeared to Esther as snakes with arms. They shimmered with evil, their heads darted furtively, yet Esther could not look away. The creatures’ eyes were dark and menacing, and venom dripped from their gold fangs.

You'll find other far more punctual Suspenseful Seven-Sentence writers at http://suspenseful7ss.blogspot.com .

2 comments:

  1. A day late? Never mind! Just keep on posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story line. I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete